Private residential client
- This project was commissioned by a private residential client, Paul Griffiths, who is the CEO of Dubai Airport, and a semi-professional organist.
- Hawes Construction Group were asked to fully refurbish the basement of his home, as well as the three-storey music room.
- This was to house a custom-built pipe organ, designed by the French master organ-maker Bernard Aubertin, which was to be made in Germany, taken apart and shipped to the UK, and then reassembled by a highly skilled team of French craftspeople.
- This was the first pipe organ to be installed in a domestic property in 70 years, and is the largest classical pipe organ in a private home in the UK.
- In the basement, we were also asked to construct a wine cellar, cinema room, and kitchen and dining area, as well as several other works in the rest of the house.
- The building was an old schoolhouse in the Ashdown Forest, so we had to be respectful to the age and style of the property.
- Hawes Construction Group worked closely with the designer chosen by the client, to ensure that we met their vision of the project, and achieved the desired final result.
- The music room was specially designed to house the client’s pipe organ, and was completely refurbished, with polished plaster walls and state-of-the-art structural soundproof glass.
- In the music room, we installed retractable seating for a 50-person audience, which was housed behind stylish sliding doors in the viewing gallery.
- In the wine cellar, we created a plywood arch, and then finished the walls and ceilings with brick slips to give the appearance of a solid brick wall, which added character to the room.
- We constructed a music studio adjacent to the music room, as well as a cinema room, hi-spec kitchen, and dining area.
- The whole space was specially tailored to house all of the hi-tech specialist equipment needed by the client, which included top of the range sound systems and lighting.
- The client also had an interest in model trains, so we constructed purpose-built shelving units in a corridor behind the organ to house his collection.
- Hawes Construction Group finished the project to the highest standard. Our expertise and strong relationships with highly-skilled specialist contractors meant that we were able to deliver a highly specialist and luxurious finish to the property.
- We were able to flexibly adapt to meet the client’s schedule and evolving requirements, and finished the project on time.
- The finished result achieved the client’s vision, and accommodated all of his specialist requirements, equipment, and interests, leaving the client delighted with our work.
“Entrusting a complex building programme which requires the coordination of a significant number of specialist trades is a daunting task. From the moment we engaged Hawes it was clear that their approach was very organised and professional. The works carried out in our converted property have been managed and executed with precision and attention to detail by Bruce. We have a good working relationship with Hawes Building and they have been a pleasure to work with. Bruce gave a significant amount of personal time and effort to oversee the unique and complex nature of the project. The relationship with Hawes has been very positive throughout and they have responded to changes in our requirements with speed and expertise.
Hawes Building have managed both our specialist subcontractors and their own in order to complete the refurbishment of the basement in the time required and to an exceptional standard.
I would not hesitate to recommend Bruce & Sarra to friends and colleagues.”
Contact us to discuss your next project
We are happy to answer any questions you have about our services and how we can help you with your project.