Private Residence, Horsted Keynes
- Our task was to demolish a large shed in the client’s garden, and then to construct a new timber-framed annexe in its place.
- The project also included associated hard landscaping works.
- Hawes Construction Group were the main contractors for this project.
- The biggest challenge with this project was that we could only access the site by crossing the client’s lawn, and there were concerns about causing any damage.
- To combat this, we put down a temporary matting system to protect the lawn.
- Heavy rain meant that there was still some damage, so at the end of the project we regraded and reseeded the lawn.
- Part of the design included a stunning paved area around the annexe and patio, which incorporated large unique pieces of stone of varying sizes and shapes, like a jigsaw.
- To accommodate this, we meticulously adjusted the base so that the top would be level. Thanks to the skill and expertise of our in-house groundworkers, the paving looked amazing.
- There was a large existing external staircase that had started to deteriorate due to settlement over time. We excavated and reworked the base of the stairs, and installed new walls and paving.
- The annexe was clad in untreated oak timber to provide a natural weathered look.
- Internally, we installed underfloor heating as well as a shower, kitchenette, and toilet, to allow the annexe to be fully independent.
- The roof was tiled using traditional materials and methods.
- We brought in specialist subcontractors for the roof works, mechanical, electrical, and decorations.
- The client and architect were both very pleased with the finished result, which met their high standards and exacting specifications.
- Despite the impact of the weather, we did our utmost to limit damage to the lawn and keep the client’s garden intact.
- We were able to produce a stunning result using unique materials to fulfil the client’s vision.
Contact us to discuss your next project
We are happy to answer any questions you have about our services and how we can help you with your project.